Getting a divorce can be a true test for a person. Will you be able to remain cool, calm, and collected? Or will you let your emotions take over and turn you into a so-called “crazy person”?
You laugh, but the stress of a divorce can rattle the most even-tempered spouses. We want to believe we would be able to hold our composure, but some people simply can’t – and they crack.
Below we’re going to share 5 of the craziest divorce stories with you – both to serve as a warning of what can happen if you let yourself go off the deep end and to remind you that your situation probably isn’t as bad as what any of these people went through!
- Shark revenge. Getting revenge might seem like a great idea – in theory – but when we finally decide to act, someone could get hurt. One particular divorce case had an angry wife seek revenge on her husband through one of his most prized possessions – his shark tank! What did she do? She drained the tank of all its water. Poor sharks!
- Stoking the fire. Wives aren’t the only spouses who want revenge. Another divorce case saw an enraged husband declare he wanted a divorce by throwing his wife’s wedding dress into their fireplace – with a fire going! Not only did he burn her lovely dress, but he also continued to act in poor taste throughout the rest of the divorce. Even though the wife hadn’t done anything to him. She didn’t have an affair or spend all their money – nothing!
- 50/50. In Cambodia, a couple who had been married for 18 years decided to get a divorce after rumors that the wife had a clandestine relationship with a village police officer. The wife denied the affair, and locals attempted to get the couple to reconcile their differences. Unfortunately, the husband refused. All he wanted in their divorce settlement was half of their house. And that’s what he got. Literally. The husband and his relatives used saws to cut their wooden house in half. Talk about a 50/50 split!
- Phoning it in. A woman who had been married to her husband for over 40 years simply couldn’t accept the fact that her marriage was over. To make herself feel better, the woman decided she would make her husband pay by calling the lawyer’s office every single day. This doesn’t seem like a big deal until you factor in that the lawyers charged $250 per hour! Her excuse for calling? The woman said her pet parakeet enjoyed the paralegal’s voice.
- Walled in. In a case called Brooklyn’s “War of the Roses,” a New York couple bitterly feuded throughout their divorce. The wife said her husband bugged her phone. The husband said his wife owned too many shoes. But the worst of it was both spouses insisted they wanted to remain in their home. So what else could they do but build a wall right down the middle of their three-story brownstone? The wife appealed the wall building, but an appeals panel decided the wall was a unique idea and allowed it. Six years later, their messy divorce was finalized, and the judge ordered them to sell their divided house.
These are obviously extreme cases of divorce. But although divorce can bring out the worst in people, it doesn’t have to. With the help of an experienced Florida divorce attorney and the support of your family and friends, you can get through this trying period and move on with your life.